Programs & Events
ISCO members have offered a number of programs and services. Some are very large events, such as “A Taste of Home,” with over 500 people attending. Most of our efforts are on a much smaller scale, which gives participants the chance to meet and speak with people from cultures other than their own.
ISCO regularly adds a multicultural perspective to community events such as:
- Citizenship Ceremonies
- Since ISCO’s earliest days, it has been honoured to assist in the ceremonies that celebrate new Canadian citizens. ISCO was particularly pleased to host the July 1, 2006 Citizenship ceremony held at the Kelowna City Hall.
- Global Citizen Week
- The Intercultural Society of the Central Okanagan, Kelowna Community Resources Host Program and Hope for the Nations join together to offer “A Taste of Home,” a festival of multicultural food and entertainment. Admission and the entertainment are free and the food is inexpensive.
- Potluck in the Park
- ISCO invites members, friends and neighbours to an intercultural potluck picnic at Mission Creek Park. Local ESL students organize games from their home countries, and so we celebrate summer, food and fun from all over the world.
- The City of Kelowna’s Family Fun Day
- Each year ISCO members share some of their cultural songs, games and crafts with children and adults attending this annual event held at the Parkinson Recreation Centre.
- Multiculturalism Day Activities
Some past events and services have included:
- My Neighbour, My Friend
- This multicultural film festival extended over three evenings, and offered films for a range of ages, from a number of different countries.
- An International Christmas
- dults and children were invited to share in traditions from around the world; to create crafts, participate in a story, and enjoy Christmas goodies. This event was hosted by ISCO, Kelowna Community Resources’ Host program, and Hope for the Nations.
- Rutland Christmas Light-Up
- SCO has partnered with the RBA in their annual Christmas Light-up. The Rutland Business Association promotes and supports businesses based in the Rutland area.
- Latin Cooking Classes
- Two energetic ISCO members shared their South American heritage by leading a series of cooking classes. This class was offered at South Kelowna School through the Community Schools program.
- Multiculturalism Day Events
- SCO has provided a public venue for some of the cultural groups on Multiculturalism Day, just prior to the larger Folkfest performances on Canada Day.